To a lot of people, the old Granbury General Hospital Building is just the Opera House Dorm, another old building. But when it was constructed, it was an asset to the community, providing local hospitalization and heath care. It marks a milestone in the development of the community. When it was constructed in 1946, Granbury only had around 1,300 residents and all of Hood County only around 6,000 people.
The Granbury General Hospital Building is one of four existing post-war buildings exhibiting distinctive characteristics of the Modern Movement that remain in a community that has preserved many more buildings that typify late-19th century and early-20th century revival architectural styles. It is one of two Modern Movement buildings in Granbury designed by a professional architect. The hospital’s location, just one block north of the Hood County Courthouse Square, reflects the continuum of history through evolving architectural styles in Granbury.
This project is just getting underway, and is to plan for the adaptive reuse of the old Granbury General Hospital Building. We will be working with Architexas, a restoration architectural firm in Dallas, to develop a plan and determine the cost of restoration. The architect has been through the building and now is developing a scope of work to help us through the process. Preserve Granbury is on the committee led by Ken Hackett that includes interested citizens and organizations that want to see the building remain and become an asset to the community again.