Fifty members and guests enjoyed beautiful weather, good food, and an update on restoration of the historic buildings at Lambert Branch Park during Preserve Granbury’s 2013 Preservation Picnic at Lambert Branch Park on May 11.
On behalf of Preserve Granbury’s directors and members, President Claudia Southern, First Vice President Diane Lock and Second Vice President Linda Preston presented six historic preservation awards to members of the community during the picnic.
They presented Two Preservation Projects of the Year Awards, honoring exemplary work in the restoration or rehabilitation of a historic resource or the preservation of material culture and heritage. These awards went to:
- Gary and Robbie Farina—For rehabilitation of two buildings on the northwest corner of Granbury’s courthouse square for the opening a new restaurant, Farina’s Wine Bar and Café.
- Diana and Don McBride—For preservation and rehabilitation of the Cogdell House, a significant Craftsman-style house in Granbury built during the early 20th century. The Cogdell House was the home of the family of D.C. Cogdell, who chartered The First National Bank of Granbury in 1887 and was president of Granbury Milling Company.
They presented Four Preservationists of the Year Awards, honoring dedication to the preservation of Hood County’s historic, cultural, and architectural Heritage. These awards went to:
- City of Granbury—For accepting stewardship of the Langdon Center from Tarleton State University and preserving this arts and cultural center for the community. And for preservation and rehabilitation of the significant historic and natural location, buildings and resources located at the center.
- Inge Foundation and Charles and Dominique Inge—For their personal and financial support of the preservation and rehabilitation of the Langdon Center and its significant historic and natural location, buildings, resources.and artistic and cultural programs.
- Jennifer Miller—For her longtime stewardship and preservation of the Brazos Drive-In, a significant 1952 historic landmark in Granbury, and for keeping it open for the benefit of residents of the community and region. Featuring a screen that’s 70-feet wide and 30-feet high and its original ticket booth and concession stand, the Brazos has remained in continuous operation since it opened. The Brazos Drive-In is an important example of America’s post-war social and drive-in culture and an icon of the “Fabulous ‘50s.”
- Jane Craddock—For her longtime stewardship and preservation of the Daniel House and its historic contents. The Daniel House was built before 1893 by Jane’s grandfather, William Buchanan Daniel, who was a Granbury pioneer. Mr. Daniel traveled to Granbury in 1867 at age 10 in a covered wagon with his family. He became a grocer on the Granbury courthouse square and married Lucinda Emily Allen in 1881. Together, they raised seven children in the family home, where Mr. Daniel lived until 1940. The Daniel House is a remarkably intact example of local Victorian-era architecture featuring intricate Eastlake ornamentation.